Octans is an all-in-one gyrocompass and motion sensor designed for various challenging applications.
IMO HSC, Octans raises the industry standard in measurement accuracy for roll, pitch, heave, and heading.
- Highly accurate real-time output for roll, pitch, true heading, heave, surge, sway, accelerations and rate of turn, even within GPS/GNSS denied environments
- Ease-of-use and integration
- Robust heading performance for high-speed vessels with high rate-of-turn
- Ease of export
- New generation of algorithms, including heading, Smart Heave™ and real-time heave (30 seconds period)
- State-of-the-art iXblue Fiber-Optic Gyroscope (FOG), solid-state and strap-down technology
- Ethernet, web-based GUI and compatibility with survey software suites
- IMO and IMO-HSC certification
- ITAR free (CJ) and O&G license eligibility
- Survey (MBES/LiDAR)
- DP (Dynamic Positioning)
- Motion monitoring
- Platform stabilization
- Safe and robust navigation, including in GPS/GNSS denied environments
How can I make sure that my AHRS / INS is in specification
There is a standard procedure, a User Acceptance Test (UATR). This procedure must be done onshore with the unit in static condition(office/workshop/test bench). Still it doesn't require any metrological tool. In case you are not sure with this process, include the recorded data and settings file of the concerned unit in an email to email@example.com.
Is the AHRS / INS compatible with my ____ input or output protocol?
The AHRS and INS units made by IXBLUE accept and output a wide range of protocols. A full list and description of these protocols can be found in the user manual document named INTERFACE LIBRARY. This document includes a description of each input and output protocol.
How accurate must my manual Latitude and manual speed setting be
The latitude, along with the speed, is the most important input component in setting up OCTANS to operate correctly. In order to be in the specification the manual latitude should be entered within 0.5 degree. For example if you operate at 42.2 degrees, you must enter between 41.7 and 42.7 degrees in order for the unit performance to meet the specifications. The speed information should be set with an accuracy of ±1,5 knots.
I do get "Output Full" message what does it mean?
This message means the Data Output settings for the serial output are not correct. Often the output frequency is too high or the baudrate is too low in combination with the selected protocol size.
What is the latency on Ixblue AHRS and INS products?
In general timing parameters are as follow (for details, refer to product specifications)
- 2.35 ms on all serial ports
- 2.95 ms on Ethernet high priority port
- < 5 ms on all other Ethernet ports
- Jitter :
- < 200 μs on all serial ports
- < 400 μs on Ethernet high priority port
- < 800 μs on all other Ethernet ports
How to retrieve the IP address of an AHRS / INS?
Factory default IP address is 192.168.36.1XX xx being the last two numbers of the serial number. If the IP address has been changed and it's not known the following steps shall be followed:
- Connect the unit to the PC with repeater serial cable.
- Open a hyper terminal window
- Connect to the unit using the following configuration:
- Baudrate: 19200
- Parity: none
- Stop bit: 1
- Restart the unit
- The IP address of the unit will be displayed on the screen during the boot up sequence.
What is the power consumption of an AHRS / INS?
Ixblue AHRS / INS are know for the low power consumption which is below 25 Watts. Please check the spec sheet for each individual system.
I connect my AHRS to a GPS, which messages should be used?
An AHRS needs Latitude and speed information to give the most accurate data. The information can be set manually in the AHRS, but when connected to a GPS the $GPGGA and $GPVTG message are recommended. If the AHRS can be synchronised with time the $GPZDA or $UTC message can be configured a PPS pulse is optional.
I connect my INS to a GPS which messages should be used?
An INS needs position info to be able to align itself. The $GPGGA message is recommended. It is also advised to add the $GPGST string which gives the standard deviation of the position. If the $GPGST message is not supplied, the INS will use the quality indicator in the telegram (which is a less accurate and robust option). For time synchronization $GPZDA or UTC timetag message is required. When precise time synchronisation is needed, PPS shall be supplyed to the INS. These Input data should be send at 1Hz.
Can I send USBL data to my INS in a GGA format?
No, this should not be performed as it may affect system performances. Contact support for more details.
How accurate must my (GPS) leverarm be?
It is recommended to use lever arms 10x more accurate than the sensor measurement accuracy. For example, within 10cm for a 1m accurate GPS and within 1cm for a 10cm accurate GPS. This will make sure your lever arms will not affect the performance of your system.